maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Arik Kfir" <arikk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: avoid that central repo gets garbage dump
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 20:16:32 GMT
The biggest problem as I see it is not the groupId structures (although it
DOES bother me...) but rather the dependencies metadata which is often
incorrect, or atleast not quite right. Examples are numerous and range from
optional dependencies marked as required, testing dependencies in compile
scope, missing dependencies, etc. Not to mention informative metadata which
is often missing.

The problem is, many times we allow poms in the repo about projects we know
nothing about, or at least not enough. For instance, I could post an upload
request to Carlos for a private project of mine; Carlos has no idea (nor
should he have, of course) about my project, the dependencies it needs, etc.
So if I wrote a crappy pom, that's what goes in the repository.

Now think what happens when it's not a private project, but I was simply the
first person to post the upload request. The (bad) metadata is there for
good, due to backwards compatibility which Carlos guards (and rightfully
so).

I see the solution in two layers:
1. Start over with a fresh repository (optional; we could go to an
incremental solution instead)
2. Start creating a federated repository maintainers network for select
projects/groups. For instance, say I know Hibernate very good and I request
the maven team to make me the repo maintainer for the "org.hibernate"
groupId. Now, if I know Hibernate better than Carlos (no offense - just an
example, I don't really know Hibernate that much), and Hibernate is my main
bread and water, I will probably do a better job at mainaining the metadata.

Note that having the actual project committers maintain their own pom is
always the best solution, of course; so if the Hibernate team wants to do so
- that always was and should stay the preferred solution.

WDYT?