maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [embedder] Retrieving available versions of an artifact
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 02:14:16 GMT
On 3 Apr 07, at 4:55 PM 3 Apr 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> I need this to get a list of versions available for an artifact. I
> want to do it the same way maven does to avoid inconsistencies, so the
> index is not an option.

If this is for releases which is probably what the you want there are
no inconsistencies and the index is actually far more reliable.

If you want up-to-date snapshots then that's a different story but I
can't see the vast majority of people doing production development
work being interested in that.

If you want snapshot support then it would have to be dynamic as the
index is only updated on a daily basis.

This should be abstracted anyway because in the future I think
leveraging the tiny index that can be pulled down locally would
provide an artifact resolution mechanism that is far more reliable
and an order of magnitude faster.

Jason.