maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Releasing Maven Ant Tasks
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:34:15 GMT

On 1 Apr 07, at 10:17 AM 1 Apr 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 02/04/2007, at 12:07 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

>>> 2.1 or 2.0.6? These are matched against 2.0.6. Is the confusion
>>> not matching the version against the base release of Maven they
>>> are using?
>>
>> Fine either way as long as we're consistent (ie, 2.0.6 if we're
>> always going to track the Maven version, but I thought we were
>> moving away from that). It'd be my preference (maybe a little
>> longer term) that the ant tasks declared it's maven dependency as
>> 'provided' and the user decided what maven version to use and we
>> versioned these according to how they advance themselves.
>
> Actually this might be possible now given 2.0.6 is ubered up.
>
> How about we provide a tiny maven-ant-tasks-2.1.jar, and they toss
> maven-core-2.0.6-uber.jar into their taskdef classpath?

I would still like to provide a single JAR for convenience but we
could certainly just provide the tasks though I'm always surprised at
usage patterns. Not sure if users would care about the separation
versus just having one JAR that worked. We can also provide uber jars
for the different versions of Maven as well and this might be the
only way to go because of the differences in the containers in 2.0.6
versus 2.1. We'll see how people use them.

jason.