maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian E. Fox" <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
Subject RE: OMG... mvn -X spits out soooooo much junk
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 03:59:19 GMT
Looks like enforcer worked :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Dillon [mailto:jason.dillon@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jason
Dillon
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 11:49 PM
To: Maven Developers List
Subject: OMG... mvn -X spits out soooooo much junk

I think its time for a --debug and --trace option to mvn... as mvn -X
by itself spits out sooo much output that it is almost unusable.
Certainly to get more information out of plugins that are executing
its provides *way, way* to much information.

For example, running `mvn -X -N` from the geronimo/server/trunk
build, its spits out ~2500 lines.

I'd really like to see the logging output in Maven have some finer
controls.  *most* of the time I just want debugging information from
my plugins, including a brief overview of the artifact they came
from, the arguments to the mojo and then the mojos log.debug() output.

I don't care much the full tree of maven artifacts and all that other
muck for most times I want to see debug information.

I really think that mvn should have better cli configuration of the
debug and warning levels which are enabled.

Very simlar to how CC has the -W flag to enable sets of warnings, I
think that mvn needs a flag to enable sets of warning and debug
information.

For example, this might show all the gory detail about artifacts:

     mvn --debug=artifacts

Where this would only show the plugin invokation details:

     mvn --debug=plugin

And default to the minimal:

     mvn --debug

^^^ is the same as mvn --debug=plugin

  * * *

For those interested, the full ~2500 lines of mvn -X -N for sever/
trunk are here:

     http://rifers.org/paste/jdillon/show/4223

This is a big project... but I don't really need all of that output
when I'm trying to debug plugin executions.  Today I just wanted to
make sure that the maven-enforcer-plugin was still working after the
snapshot, since it now logs details to DEBUG instead of INFO.  And I
was appalled when I ran `mvn -X -N` from the top-level and go so much
junk.

I really would like to see this fixed... it would really help people
to debug mvn issues.  Sure there are times when you need the full
output, maybe from `mvn --debug=all` but 90% of the time all that
extra information just makes it hard to find the information you do
care about.

Please can we address this problem?

--jason