maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: forceVersion for maven-install-plugin?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:09:50 GMT
On Mar 16, 2007, at 3:58 AM, Kenney Westerhof wrote:
> Ok, we've got different approaches here. I'll line them out to
> summarize:
>
> Mine:
> - use an integration testing plugin like maven-it-plugin to run
> test projects
>  placed in src/it/*/pom.xml against the current artifact, which is
> not installed
>  in any repository yet.
> - The embedder is fed the current artifact and the src/it/*
> projects in the reactor,
>  where the current artifact is marked to be skipped during the build.

Do you have a working example of this I can look at?  (ie. something
I can checkout and build w/o any modifications to see how this works)?

> Your approach:
> - bind a modified install plugin to the pre-integration-test phase
> to install
>  the artifact with a different version in the local repository
> - run the invoker plugin to fork maven to build src/it/*.pom, using
> the local repository,
>  remote repositories etc (IMHO an uncontrolled environment).

How is this uncontrolled?

> If your approach works, go for it. Here are some other comments
> wrt. your problems:
> - use the install:install-file mojo; you can specify the path to
> the artifact in target/
>  and the version you want to use - no need for a forceVersion
> parameter.

True, though IMO forceVersion is a little easier ;-)

> - if you hardcode the version to install ('testing') in the pom, i
> see no harm
>  in specifying that version in src/it/*/pom.xml aswell

That is what I want to do... I want to use "testing" for the version
of my artifacts to be tested, and then use "testing" for all versions
in the src/it poms.

> - perhaps the staging mojo (can't remember which plugin) is of use;
> it temporarily
>  installs the plugin in the local repository, backing up what's there;
>  after the integration test, it restores the local repository.

I looked into some plugin that was using this... but couldn't get it
to build, nor could I find the snaps or source for the plugin it was
using to do the stage.  But I really don't think its all that useful
to install, then uninstall.  If the "testing" version is installed,
it can stay in the repo for all I care.

--jason