maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Redmond" <eric.redm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mapping strategy for libraries in the WAR/EAR plugin
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:15:29 GMT
On 3/7/07, Stephane Nicoll <stephane.nicoll@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am starting using the WAR plugin extensively as a user this time and
> I'd like your insight about the addition of a mapping strategy in the
> WAR/EAR plugin.
>
> The worst case I can see is when you have SNAPSHOT dependencies and
> you download a new SNAPSHOT without calling mvn clean. Since Maven
> will copy the library with the "full name" (i.e. with the build
> number), you end up with *two* versions of the library in your
> WEB-INF/lib.

This is not an isolated issue of the WAR plugin - that can happen whenever
you make a project change and don't call clean (like, say, removing a
resources). I don't think the plugin should be responsible for that.

Am I missing something obvious here? Also, we have several use cases
> where copying the libraries as ${artifactId}.${type} (e.g. without the
> version and/or the classifier) would be handy.
>
> The assembly plugin already provides this so:
>
> 1. What do you think about having this feature in WAR/EAR?

+1 on adding an "outputFileNameMapping".

2. Is the mapping thingy in the assembly plugin can be reused? (by