maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hobson" <markhob...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:19:15 GMT
> OK, but the other part of the problem is pushing the changes out to the
> user.
>
> in a linux distro, what you are effectively buying is a set of artifacts
> compiled on the same gcc version/options, and a subscription that keeps
> your box up to date. They are usually manual or cron updates.
>
> If you're using an artifact 3.7, and the pom goes to 3.7-1, you need to
> get that new pom, without having your stuff updated. Except when you
> dont, of course, because you've just QA'd everything against a previous
> version and dont want stuff with new metadata creeping in.

Could we not use the syntax 3.7 to represent 'the latest revision of
3.7', whereas 3.7-1 would lock the version down to 3.7 rev 1?  So
during development people could use 3.7 to allow updated revisions of
the pom to be pushed to them, and then for reproducable builds they
could use the 3.7-1 syntax.

The release plugin could fully-qualify any version numbers of the form
3.7 to the currently-used revision, e.g. 3.7-1, at release time.

Mark