maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Duncan" <stephen.dun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] Java 5
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 01:51:09 GMT
While I'm happily developing use Java 5 now, what would be the impact
on those needing to target Java 1.4 or below building with Maven?
Specifically, the relative ease/difficulty of making sure to compile
against the 1.4 JDK libraries?  Is that meant to be covered under
"improved support for invoking external toolchains"?  It seems helping
people avoid the trouble that seems likely to occur when they have to
run Maven with Java 5, but build against 1.4 would be the only major
obstacle.

- Stephen

On 7/6/06, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to get thoughts on starting to require a Java 5 JVM to run
> stuff we build. We currently restrict to 1.4 across the board.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking:
> - MRM and Continuum should switch now. Stuff built there is rarely
> consumed elsewhere, and a Java 5 requirement outside of that is reasonable
> - We could switch for Maven 2.1, as long as we have improved support for
> invoking external toolchains. This would facilitate doing some much
> nicer stuff with plugins like annotations.
> - A generified plexus would be very cool, but is an aside here and post
> plexus-1.0 in my opinion.
> - I think it's best to keep the lower requirement on Doxia, Surefire
> (1.3), and Wagon for now.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>
> I'll likely propose a vote on the first point before the first/next
> releases of them unless there are reasons not to.
>
> Cheers,
> Brett
>
> --
> Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/