maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse McConnell" <jesse.mcconn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:41:46 GMT
might be better off using the version ranges notation for this kind of
thing, I don't think you want to get into the habit of x.y being some
kinda fuzzy defintion, it should refer to a specific version.

[3.7,) or something along those lines...

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution

then when it comes to your release time, pin it down to a specific
version of the pom for release

jesse

On 7/5/06, Mark Hobson <markhobson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/07/06, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
> > OK, but the other part of the problem is pushing the changes out to the
> > user.
> >
> > in a linux distro, what you are effectively buying is a set of artifacts
> > compiled on the same gcc version/options, and a subscription that keeps
> > your box up to date. They are usually manual or cron updates.
> >
> > If you're using an artifact 3.7, and the pom goes to 3.7-1, you need to
> > get that new pom, without having your stuff updated. Except when you
> > dont, of course, because you've just QA'd everything against a previous
> > version and dont want stuff with new metadata creeping in.
>
> Could we not use the syntax 3.7 to represent 'the latest revision of
> 3.7', whereas 3.7-1 would lock the version down to 3.7 rev 1?  So
> during development people could use 3.7 to allow updated revisions of
> the pom to be pushed to them, and then for reproducable builds they
> could use the 3.7-1 syntax.
>
> The release plugin could fully-qualify any version numbers of the form
> 3.7 to the currently-used revision, e.g. 3.7-1, at release time.
>
> Mark

jesse mcconnell
jesseDOTmcconnellATgmailDOTcom