maven-dev mailing list archives

From Kenney Westerhof <ken...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 19:58:57 GMT
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Mike Perham wrote:

<snip>

> Maybe we need a much harsher line around the quality of accepted POMs.

Maybe that's wise.

> Perhaps we can have a rule that every dependency MUST have a declared
> <scope> and <optional> element so that we know the developer has thought
> about the correct values for them, rather than always using the
> defaults?

That's against Maven philosophy: conventions based builds. Only specify
things that don't follow the defaults..

I think the problems with poms are because they're generated by default
or converted from maven 1, or just uploaded by someone who wants it there.
If a project is built using maven 2, the poms should be correct.

-- Kenney

Kenney Westerhof
http://www.neonics.com
GPG public key: http://www.gods.nl/~forge/kenneyw.key