maven-dev mailing list archives

From "jerome lacoste" <jerome.laco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Common API for issue tracking systems
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 08:01:23 GMT
> Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> > On 7/4/06, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> That'll be the ant-that-has-to-support-java-1.2 on
> >> everything-and-build-with-no-dependencies, won't it?
> >
> > Be that as it may, but personally I prefer this over the
> > maven-which-needs-thousands-of-jars-from-codehaus-for-whatever
> > approach... :-)
> >

> The problem with Ant's approach is that there is some very useful stuff
> there; <exec> is how java's process stuff should work, <java> is almost
> a substitute for the JRE not implementing fork() (presumably as they
> couldnt find it in the win32 API), and yet reuse of that stuff is mostly
> denied to everyone unless they include ant.jar, create their own project
> and execute a Task in the project instance just created. So while the
> tight coupling is good for ant, it stops people downstream from using it
> self contained. You see this with things like cargo, tomcat, weblogic
> all having to include an ant jar just to exec stuff. The convenience of
> absolute integration and zero dependencies is achieved at the expense of
> reusability.

Slightly related...

There ve been talk to make a separate commons-exec library to let
people do execution easily. I tried to help, but I didn't get time to
clean up my submission back last year in October. Thought about it
again this morning under my shower :)

May have more time this summer. See the commons-dev archives. Feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Jerome