maven-dev mailing list archives

From "jerome lacoste" <jerome.laco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:32:36 GMT
> Ralph Goers wrote:
> >

> > Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes you can, it's not the best way to do it but you can, by adding
> >> explicitly the dependency with the versoin you want to your pom. In
> >> the very worst case you have to add all transitive deendencies to your
> >> pom, like in Maven 1.

[..]

I've been following this thread with interest.

It makes me think of the various problems Linux distribution have to
deal with when making their own repositories. It took 10 years for
these solutions to be what they are today. I really think some ideas
should be reused, even though the goals are slightly different.

Some features/ways of working that may or may not be applicable:

- they typically use a versionning similar to x.y.z-n sometimes
adding. -n can be used to fix packaging issues (POM in the case of
maven). Vendor fixes are also accepted and version names reflect the
vendor name.

- the distributions with the best repositories typically require the
package to be buildable from source. The build is tested in a separate
environment where all the required build dependencies are listed, to
make sure that the dependency list is accepted. Something similar
should maybe be done before accepting a project on a POM, setting up a
build environment based on the given pom.

- number of versions of a particular package in a repo is reduced to a
minimum. users are adviced to upgrade to the latest & greatest to make
sure that fixes are always present in the last released versions

- responsibilities of preparing packages is spread around 10s of
people. Packages are orphaned when no one is taking care of them.
People can reuse tricks/scripts learned by former packagers to go on
with the job.

- use of provides and various other dependency markers (that's coming
in m2 2.1 if I got it right)

Cheers,

Jerome