maven-dev mailing list archives

From Trygve Laugstøl <tryg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] Java 5
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:43:26 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:
> Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to get thoughts on starting to require a Java 5 JVM to run
>> stuff we build. We currently restrict to 1.4 across the board.
>>
>> Here's what I'm thinking:
>> - MRM and Continuum should switch now. Stuff built there is rarely
>> consumed elsewhere, and a Java 5 requirement outside of that is
>> reasonable
>> - We could switch for Maven 2.1, as long as we have improved support
>> for invoking external toolchains. This would facilitate doing some
>> much nicer stuff with plugins like annotations.
>> - A generified plexus would be very cool, but is an aside here and
>> post plexus-1.0 in my opinion.
>> - I think it's best to keep the lower requirement on Doxia, Surefire
>> (1.3), and Wagon for now.
>>
>> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
>

>  if you build on java5, you cannot be 100% sure that you will run on
> java1.4, as various classes added new overloaded methods. Your
> java5-compiled code will be bound to the new methods, not the older
> stuff. So either you embrace j5 fully, or you split stuff up and build
> downlevel-targeted stuff on older JDKs.
>
> at work I run some projects java1.5 only, with the core still 1.4. its
> painful having a split, as you cannot move 1.5 stuff into the core (even
> implement Closeable, Appendable or Iterable), and the generics is a
> major language change.
>
> Personally, I like the new stuff, the concurrency things, QName and
> other bits, varargs and don't regret the switch. Its just a big
> transition. If maven goes java5 only, unless it can build against
> different JDKs, you are forcing all users to embrace java1.5 too, which
> implicitly stops their code working on java1.4,

Uhm, no. All you have to do to be 100% that it works in a 1.4
environment is to fork the compiler. AFAIK the Eclipse compiler should
also be able to build 1.4 code safely against the 1.4 rt.jar

Still this really won't change the current situation as you have the
same issue today if you build against 1.2 or 1.3. Or 1.4 with a 1.5 JDK
which I'm sure many people do.

--
Trygve