maven-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] Java 5
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 12:41:20 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to get thoughts on starting to require a Java 5 JVM to run
> stuff we build. We currently restrict to 1.4 across the board.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking:
> - MRM and Continuum should switch now. Stuff built there is rarely
> consumed elsewhere, and a Java 5 requirement outside of that is reasonable
> - We could switch for Maven 2.1, as long as we have improved support for
> invoking external toolchains. This would facilitate doing some much
> nicer stuff with plugins like annotations.
> - A generified plexus would be very cool, but is an aside here and post
> plexus-1.0 in my opinion.
> - I think it's best to keep the lower requirement on Doxia, Surefire
> (1.3), and Wagon for now.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

  if you build on java5, you cannot be 100% sure that you will run on
java1.4, as various classes added new overloaded methods. Your
java5-compiled code will be bound to the new methods, not the older
stuff. So either you embrace j5 fully, or you split stuff up and build
downlevel-targeted stuff on older JDKs.

at work I run some projects java1.5 only, with the core still 1.4. its
painful having a split, as you cannot move 1.5 stuff into the core (even
implement Closeable, Appendable or Iterable), and the generics is a
major language change.

Personally, I like the new stuff, the concurrency things, QName and
other bits, varargs and don't regret the switch. Its just a big
transition. If maven goes java5 only, unless it can build against
different JDKs, you are forcing all users to embrace java1.5 too, which
implicitly stops their code working on java1.4,

-steve