maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 07:10:41 GMT
On 6/07/2006 2:19 AM, Mark Hobson wrote:
> Could we not use the syntax 3.7 to represent 'the latest revision of
> 3.7', whereas 3.7-1 would lock the version down to 3.7 rev 1?  So
> during development people could use 3.7 to allow updated revisions of
> the pom to be pushed to them, and then for reproducable builds they
> could use the 3.7-1 syntax.
>
> The release plugin could fully-qualify any version numbers of the form
> 3.7 to the currently-used revision, e.g. 3.7-1, at release time.

This is actually how I'd originally designed it to work (using newest
instead of nearest, with ranges much more common). Will have to come
back to that in 2.1 :)

Anyway, I think it's currently debatable whether a -1 release is enough
for this case. I'd really like to investigate a "vendor" element of the
version that allows people that aren't the original project to
modify/repackage their releases without screwing up the dependency model.

- Brett

--
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/
Better Builds with Maven - http://library.mergere.com/