maven-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:02:26 GMT
Mike Perham wrote:
> The more I think about it, the more I agree with this.  I believe we
> will need to start using this -n versioning for POM fixes.  It's easy to
> develop and test a java module but screw up the POM and make it unusable
> to the public.  How long and how many revisions did it take for us to
> get hibernate or spring in decent shape?  ;-)

OK, but the other part of the problem is pushing the changes out to the
user.

in a linux distro, what you are effectively buying is a set of artifacts
compiled on the same gcc version/options, and a subscription that keeps
your box up to date. They are usually manual or cron updates.

If you're using an artifact 3.7, and the pom goes to 3.7-1, you need to
get that new pom, without having your stuff updated. Except when you
dont, of course, because you've just QA'd everything against a previous
version and dont want stuff with new metadata creeping in.

-steve