maven-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Common API for issue tracking systems
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 13:20:48 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On 7/4/06, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> That'll be the ant-that-has-to-support-java-1.2 on
>> everything-and-build-with-no-dependencies, won't it?
>
> Be that as it may, but personally I prefer this over the
> maven-which-needs-thousands-of-jars-from-codehaus-for-whatever
> approach... :-)

The problem with Ant's approach is that there is some very useful stuff
there; <exec> is how java's process stuff should work, <java> is almost
a substitute for the JRE not implementing fork() (presumably as they
couldnt find it in the win32 API), and yet reuse of that stuff is mostly
denied to everyone unless they include ant.jar, create their own project
and execute a Task in the project instance just created. So while the
tight coupling is good for ant, it stops people downstream from using it
self contained. You see this with things like cargo, tomcat, weblogic
all having to include an ant jar just to exec stuff. The convenience of
absolute integration and zero dependencies is achieved at the expense of
reusability.

-s.