maven-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 07:36:46 GMT

On Jul 4, 2006, at 6:33 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 5/07/2006 10:54 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> I think the process is somewhat broken and that the maven team is
>> being far too strict about changing broken poms that were in fact
>> installed by the maven team, not supplied by the project.
>> (xmlbeans is the case in point for me).  I also think that
>> traceability of where poms came from and under what auspices they
>> are added to either the repository svn tree or ibiblio is sorely
>> lacking.  (again xmlbeans being my sore spot).  We are in the
>> situation where a pom appeared from an unknown source, is wrong,
>> did not come from the project, and can't be updated.  Much as I
>> like maven it's hard for me to see how this is going to lead to
>> success.
>
> David,
>
> I thought we'd agreed to fix that up? I can't find the issue on it
> other than http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-406 which is not the
> one I recall (that one is about stax which is a whole other problem
> beyond the scope of Maven too).

that's the one.  The xmlbeans pom does not have the required stax-api
dependency listed in it.  As that issue notes, Carlos declined to
change the existing pom.  IIUC Carlos said I needed to get xmlbeans
to produce the pom, which I am currently working on, see http://
issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XMLBEANS-277

The xmlbeans team have agreed in principle to cooperate but have not
in fact yet reviewed my first draft for things like correct urls.  I
originally planned to produce a complete set of poms for their 3 jars
and 3 releases but am not sure how to test one of them.    To me it
seems like its turned into an enormous amount of work to fix a really
obvious problem.  One of the most frustrating things for me is that
there is no way to find out where the existing wrong poms came from.
Second most frustrating was that the MEV instructions turned out to
be 100% inaccurate, so following them to the letter was a complete
waste of time.

There was another problem with the maven xmlbeans plugin that Kris
Bravo fixed immediately.

thanks
david jencks