maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Common API for issue tracking systems
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 01:34:39 GMT
On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 05:07:47PM +0100, Mark Hobson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering whether any thought had been given to an abstract
> issue tracking API with implementations for Bugzilla, JIRA, etc.?
>
> I can see a couple of uses within maven:
>
> * Querying the issues fixed when releasing a new version of a project,
> to be used within the maven-changes-plugin
>
> * Creating a new version of a product in the underlying issue tracking
> system when releasing a new version of a project
>
> I couldn't see this abstraction in the maven-changes-plugin, but
> correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I've recently written some code to programmatically manipulate
> Bugzilla, and thought this could be expanded into a general-purpose
> abstract API for manipulating issue tracking systems.  Rather like
> Wagon is to transports and SCM is to SCMs.

As a maintainer of JIRA's Mantis and Bugzilla importers, I've frequently
wished for a common data model or API. It's crazy that there is no
way to migrate data from tracker X to tracker Y, unless Y has a custom
importer, or both support CSV (and you're happy to lose half the info).

Migrating data between systems is a very different use-case to yours
though. Both would benefit from a common API or data model, but importers
would focus on the nouns, while a Maven plugin would focus on the verbs.

--Jeff