maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] Java 5
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:06:34 GMT
I think we should add the rt.jar and tools.jar to the repo as any
other dependency, to allow building with 1.5 against 1.4 rt.jar. Of
course we'll hit again the Sun policy about redistribution and people
would have to put it by hand in their repos.

On 7/7/06, Kenney Westerhof <kenney@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
>
> > Uhm, no. All you have to do to be 100% that it works in a 1.4
> > environment is to fork the compiler. AFAIK the Eclipse compiler should
> > also be able to build 1.4 code safely against the 1.4 rt.jar
> >
> > Still this really won't change the current situation as you have the
> > same issue today if you build against 1.2 or 1.3. Or 1.4 with a 1.5 JDK
> > which I'm sure many people do.
>
> The -target and -source only checks the current sources, unfortunately.
>
> The compiler should ideally also check if the imported classes have the
> correct format (< 48 or something), and it should check the @since
> javadoc tags in the API to warn against usage of unavailable
> classes/methods in the target environment.
>
> Frankly, the -target and -source compiler options are quite useless.
>
> So yes, the only way to be sure is to fork the correct jdk.
>
> But I don't see a problem in having a jdk for maven itself and one for the
> target environment. They should be split up anyway. The only problem is
> that both the compilers and the plugins need to know this (surefire
> for instance, or possibly class-enhancing plugins etc.).
>
> Seems like a lot of work to get this perfect.
>
> Too bad, I really want to switch to Java 5 for Maven (especially for the
> generics and annotations!)
>
> And yes, java 5 plugins work like a charm. Haven't tried enumerations yet,
> though.
>
> -- Kenney

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.