maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Mik Kersten" <beat...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Common API for issue tracking systems
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 00:10:09 GMT

Yes, Mylar will provide this via it's Tasks API which has abstractions for
repositories and tasks (what we call them from the programmers' point of
view, aka bugs/issues/tickets).  Mylar provides 3 Connectors that extend
this API to Bugzilla, JIRA, and Trac.

> * Maven wil use those libraries in plugins that will deal with trackers
> right?
> Or you're going to move 'generic task/issue mgmt API' out of Mylar,
> to somewhere elese (Maven Issue projects/Codehaus ? :)

Maven can use the API and Connectors, as well as creating connectors of its'
own.  The API needs to stay in the Mylar project because it is one of the
core things that the project provides and our Eclipse UI stuff is built on
it (it is difficult for eclipse.org projects to have external dependencies).
But the goal here is to make it easy and convenient for Maven and others to
reuse.

Could you please create a bug report for us to indicate how you want to get
this API, e.g. have a downloadable bin+src JAR, separate JARs, build from
source?  http://www.eclipse.org/mylar/bugs.php

Yes, the Eclipse runtime stuff will be minimal, small, and work outside of
Eclipse.  We rely pretty heavily on generics, hence the JRE 5 requirement.
If it turns out to be something your users complain about we could consider
using retroweaver or something similar to produce binaries that run on 1.4,
but hopefully this will be a non-issue.

> The main concern in the long term would be the license. If it is at
> Eclipse and under the EPL, then we will only be able to use it in binary
> form - which means any modifications or adjustments for Maven will need
> to go through Mylar.
>
> Of course, I'm sure you would be more than welcome to bring the API to
> Maven to work on as well!

Yes, it is all EPL based.  But we are very responsive on applying patches
(e.g. see log at http://www.eclipse.org/mylar/doc/mylar-iplog.csv) so
getting your API and other changes in should pose no problem.  And this will
be a good time to be getting your input and contributions to help ensure the
Tasks API works for headless apps.

Let me know if you have any other concerns, otherwise I expect that we can
get this packaging to you within a week or two.

Mik

--
Mik Kersten, http://kerstens.org/mik
Mylar Project Lead, http://eclipse.org/mylar