maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [vote] replace surefire and surefire plugin trunk with test NG branches
Date Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:09:28 GMT
Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing the revolutionary thing with surefire. The branch is now
>  working for pojo, junit and testNG tests, under all 3 fork modes. Some
> other bugs have been fixed, the surefire and junit classloaders are
> separate to avoid plexus-utils and junit version clashes (this doesn't
> happen for test ng yet), and the test suite runners are now in the
> provider structure so you don't have to use testng if you don't want (or
> even junit if you want to run pojo tests using the assert keyword).
>
> The code has been heavily refactored, so I'd like folks to review and
> test it and vote on whether it should replace the previous trunk. I
> think its a lot more readable now, but that might just be me :) If
> something you think is required is missing, or something in the new
> design doesn't seem right, now is the best time to address it.

Looks good to me and if the Maven bootstrap works and activemq-core then
I think things should be fine. What do you think the best approach is
for introducing the new code into the wild?

1) Let people test the new snapshot for a while and if nothing crops up
release it?
2) Do a quick release of what's in trunk + 1)
3) Possibly bump the major number of the surefire plugin to match the
bump in surefire on the trunk?

I would suggest having a period of a week to let people try it and if
nothing is reported then perform the swap.