maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Maven 2] buildtime scope for dependencies
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:23:04 GMT
For this specific case, I'm not sure I understand. "Build time"
dependencies are always specified as one of the following:
* dependency of a plugin (added in the plugin's POM)
* customised dependency of a plugin (added inside the plugin element of
the project POM)
* an extension to the build system (added in the extensions element of
the project POM)

All of these are transitive and can retain the usual compile or runtime
scope (the latter probably being applicable here).

How does this not address your use case?

- Brett

Boden, David wrote:
> Apologies if this has been raised already. I've been helping out with
> the webstart plugin, which is coming along nicely.
>
> I've got a very definite use case for a "buildtime" dependency scope
> which is like "provided" but is transitive.
>
> The use case involves a hierarchy of different modules which produce
> webstart distributions. They all depend on 6 Eclipse RCP jar files at
> compile time. It makes sense to define the dependencies once in the base
> class and have transitivity include them in the compile classpath of all
> the other modules.
>
> The Eclipse RCP jars are not to be packaged with the webstart
> application. The jnlp file contains an <extension/> which tells the
> webstart client to go off to a central web server to download these
> files. They're hosted in one place, on a nice fast webserver which is
> pretty much 100% available.
>
> I'm having to workaround the problem that there isn't a buildtime
> transitive scope by declaring the dependencies as compile scope. I then
> have to exclude them from each webstart bundle by naming all 6 of them
> in each webstart plugin configuration.
>
> Any thoughts on buildtime scope?
>

> I've raised a Jira:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1978

> This message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated
recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby
notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  This communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded
as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial product, an official
confirmation of any transaction, or as an official statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this
information is complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All information
is subject to change without notice.