maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject [Design] Sharing common build files between modules
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:20:05 GMT
Hi,

I know this is not slated for Maven 2.0 but I'd like to start a discussion
about how to share common build files between modules.

Example of use cases:
- sharing a checkstyle.xml file
- sharing a LICENSE file
- sharing PMD, findbugs, etc config files
- etc

We don't want to use relative paths as each module should be able to be
built independently of the rest with only a connection to the local
repository.

The only solution I could think of would be to share those common build
files through the local repository.

So we would need to find an elegant (i.e. easy for the user) way to:
- package them in the local repository
- extract them out where they need to be used (in the modules)

This would probably need projects to add a new special "build" module to
their project structure which would contain common build stuff.

BTW if we think more globally, this "build" module could also be the place
where you project would put custom plugins used to build the project.

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent