maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r122591 - /maven/maven-1/core/trunk/project.properties
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:44:28 GMT
Apparently my ISP is no longer spam listed so I can risk posting to the
list without sending 15 duplicates :)

Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

>If you want to use "trunk" in directory structure, I think that is necessary
>to add a note on the site for define the directory structure for the
>checkout :

The SCM info is correct, but the bootstrap document will have to be
updated, yes.

>- maven-1
>    - core
>        - trunk
>    - jelly-tags
>        - trunk
>    - plugins
>        - trunk
>    - plugins-sandbox
>        - trunk
>
>Is it a good idea to use "trunk" in directory structure?
>I don't think.

This is the recommended structure given by the SVN developers, being
used on other projects, and what was voted into the original proposal.

>When we'll branch a module, we'll have maven-1/core/branch/... and it will
>be difficult to obtain a good project properties for all users checkout.
>Generally, I use a structure like this :

The key is that these are separate projects and need to be separated. In
fact, even each plugin might have its own t/b/t set underneath as
trygvis suggested - however that is more work that can be done later as
necessary.

so, yes, maven-1/core/branches/MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH does exist already, and
../../plugins/trunk will not be the correct property anymore because of
the change in depth.
However, a user can still check it out however they wish: without the
trunk, or just as core/MAVEN-1_0-BRANCH

I will think about it, but I'd say that relying on maven-plugins being
in a certain location was always a bad idea, and it is probably better
to think of alternatives.

>- maven-1
>    - core
>    - jelly-tags
>    - plugins
>    - plugins-sandbox
>- maven-1_BranchInformation
>    - core
>    - jelly-tags
>    - plugins
>    - plugins-sandbox
>
>With this structure, the build will work with all checkout for all branches.

The same discussion was had at jakarta-commons.

The problem with this is that MAVEN_JELLY_TAGS_1_0_1 only exist on one
repository, MAVEN_1_0 only exists on one and MAVEN_EJB_PLUGIN_1_4 only
exists on one - none of them crossover.

Still, we can move things, so I'm happy to discuss alternatives.

Cheers
Brett