maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Passing properties into subprojects using the reactor
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:40:02 GMT

>So, in summary my questions are:
>1) Am I missing something obvious such as an additional property that
>can help me out?

nope

>2) Is my understanding of contexts correct?

yep

>3) Is setting values on the parent context good or bad practice?

probably bad. Incidentally, you can use it in your case with an
additional <j:set /> to pass the iteration variable into a different
variable name in the parent scope.

>4) Would it be worth while adding properties to the reactor/maven tag to
>pass through the current context or some properties.

I think so. I'm pretty sure that there is already an open JIRA issue for
it to. If you'd like to comment there, we can bring that forward to
1.1-beta-1. If you've got a patch, even better :)

I'd say the best thing is to have <param /> subelements, eg:
<maven:reactor ...>
  <parameter name="foo" value="bar" />
  <parameter property="something-in-the-context-already" />
</maven:reactor>

I don't think passing the whole context in as a parent works, though
that may be an alternative. Would require a bit of regression testing.
Then, just a boolean property might be useful:

<maven:reactor ...
  useCurrentContext="true" />

Cheers,
Brett