maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject RE: Adding sourcepath to Eclipse plugin..
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:10:27 GMT
Eric Pugh wrote on Friday, September 24, 2004 4:07 PM:

> Hi all,
> I have been looking at
> " Add a property
> to dependencies to link to source".  It would be quite easy
> to add some sort of property to each dependency specifing the
> name of a file that would be in your repository.  Something like:
> 		<dependency>
> 			<groupId>commons-lang</groupId>
> 			<artifactId>commons-lang</artifactId>
> 			<version>2.0</version>
> <url></url>
> 			<properties>
> <eclipse.src></eclipse.src> 			</properties>
> 		</dependency>
> Then the plugin would expect this file to exist in:
> $MAVEN_REPO/commons-lang/src/commons-lang/
> Is this change worth making?  While you would have to
> manually download and install the jars, that way you don't
> have to configure another Eclipse classpath variable.  Is
> there anything I should be aware of in the next version of
> Maven that would conflict with this approach?

Yeah. You cannot assume, that the source is in the Maven repo. I would really love to see
such a functionality in the Eclipse plugin, since this is the major reason I currently don't
recreate the .classpath after initial creation. OTOH, the described approach fails, because:

- most artifacts currently don't come with source
- since it is currently a manual task - if you download source, it is normally not put into
the maven repo
- Eclipse 2.x (and therefore WSAD) cannot look into zips
- is no good for local SNAPSHOTs

What about to assume

as default, if the property is not explicitly set? And let the user overwrite the setting
e.g. with

Make sense ?

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail: