maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL/VOTE] New API for artifacts versioning
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:13:08 GMT
Hi Felipe,

I haven't had a chance to read this yet, but I'll take a look later. I'm happy
to open up discussion on this, but hesitant for any work to start for a couple
of reasons:
- we are about to address this in m2, so need a solution consistent across both
- http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1438 - I had meant to file this long
ago. We really need to rip out the code from maven-artifact-plugin and use
maven-wagon because it was forked from that about a year ago and is much improved.

Note that this would not be part of wagon, as wagon is just repsonsible for
taking a version (whether it be 1.0, 1.0-SNAPSHOT, SNAPSHOT, 20040608.201018, or
whatever). It would still belong in maven-artifact-plugin (and in the
maven-artifact component of m2).

One thing I don't see in scanning your email is consideration for snapshots on
branches. I think we will end up not having a plain SNAPSHOT version, but
instead 1.0-SNAPSHOT, 1.1-SNAPSHOT, 2.0-SNAPSHOT so that you can maintain
concurrent versions.

Despite all this, by all means I think it's a good idea to discuss the concepts
of snapshots and how they work for people.

- Brett