maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branch and tags while fixing an issue
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2004 01:15:06 GMT
> Hmm, I think I wasn't clear in my previous message: the reason I'd like
> to create a branch is that I can work in the issue without messing with
> the main branch (in this case, the 1_0_BRANCH) while all the changes are
> not ready. Once I finish the changes, I would merge them back to the
> main branch (and that 'private' branch could be forgotten).

There is no 1_0_BRANCH on the plugins. All the plugins are developed on HEAD
previously. If you are going to branch, I just suggested that they be done
individually.

> If I don't
> create a branch, I need to either work in small changes at time or work
> in a lot of changes without committing them back to CVS.

There's never anything wrong with doing work in small changes.

> > code in to set it, and if not set get it from the old property name, it
> should
> > play nicely. I did similarly in the artifact/deploy plugin.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by 'if not set get it from ...'...

Sorry, I was probably thinking back to front. You actually want to set both and
deprecate one, right?

> Anyway, the fix shouldn't cause backaward compatibility issues, although
> the new final names might change in some cases (for instance, the WAR
> file created at target doesn't have the currentVersion on its name,
> which is inconsistent with the other plugins and even the WAR that is
> installed/deployed).

You need to be careful that you don't break any existing builds with this,
that's all.

Thanks,
Brett