maven-dev mailing list archives

From Maczka Michal <michal.mac...@imtf.ch>
Subject Some thought about SNAPSHOT dependencies.
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:29:29 GMT
I am trying to find about the best practices related to SNAPSHOT
dependencies.
More and more I think about them I find that some things are rather not
clear and quite inconsistent.

There is one misleading thing: We often find in POMs (maven, maven plugins
do that):

<project>
  <pomVersion>3</pomVersion>
  <id>maven</id>
  <name>Maven</name>
  <currentVersion>1.1-SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(I understand that <currentVersion>1.1-SNAPSHOT</currentVersion> denotes
that next release will be 1.1.)

It is possible to do

maven  jar:install   (will put maven-1.1-SNAPSHOT to repository)
maven  jar:install-snapshot (will put maven-SNAPSHOT to repository)

Do we really intend to have two different types of snapshots?

  <dependency>
     ..
     <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>  (latest version of 1.1 branch)
  </dependency>

and

  <dependency>
     ..
     <version>SNAPSHOT</version> (latest version which can come from any of
the branches)
  </dependency>

If not maybe we can just have one single "install" goal instead of "install
and "install-snapshot"?
"jar:install" goal executed on project which current version is 1.1-SNAPSHOT
will deploy a snapshot version of jar.

Maybe indeed it is reasonable to lock usage of snapshot to one branch (like
1.0-SNAPSHOT, 1.1-SNAPSHOT)?

AFAIR there were some discussions about introducing something which denotes
latest released version (something like maven-RELEASE).
Maybe we should use those things together?

Any ideas?

Michal