maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <bpor...@f2network.com.au>
Subject PROPOSAL: plugin categories
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:15:23 GMT
Hi,

I've had a thought about whether we might have the following plugin
categories:
- artifact (war, ear, jar, plugin, etc)
- report
- general
- any others?

Reports already have special handling, via automatic registration.

However, I think that the artifact plugin could be extended to handle using
other artifacts plugins:
artifact:install
artifact:install-snapshot
artifact:deploy
artifact:deploy-snapshot
artifact:artifact

To be consistent with dependencies, pom <type> should be introduced, and can
replace maven.multiproject.type. This would allow most of the artifact
processing in multiproject to be moved to the artifact plugin.

The plugin plugin would need to be changed so its goals were consistent with
the others, and this would be a good platform for making insta//deploy
consistent for all plugins instead of the current disparity between artifact
and deploy.

Going forward, maybe add some extra handling to core maven, rather than
using a jelly artifact plugin.

The only question I can think of is what about plugins like dist that can
produce multiple artifacts?

What do others think?

Cheers,
Brett