maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Re: Oracle SQL Schema Script for Maven XSD
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:41:23 GMT
On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 12:22, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Jason,
>
> > From: Jason van Zyl <jvanzyl@maven.org>
> > Date: 2004/01/12 Mon AM 10:42:21 EST
> > To: Maven Developers List <dev@maven.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: Oracle SQL Schema Script for Maven XSD
> >
> > On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 02:59, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > > Jason,
> > Cool, I'll keep that but have you worked with Axion? I figured for
> > testing purposes it might be easier as it is easily embeddable for
>
> No I actually never considered it but now that Axion is comming
> here to Apache that would be a smart move.
>
> > > I need to add some foreign key constraints but for the
> > > time being I have left it bare - I'll get to it later.
> > > Just thought I'd get this to you if you want to experiment
> > > with OJB.
> >
> > Yah, using OJB I never use foreign keys directly in the DDL. I let the
> > application take care of managing the integrity of relationships among
> > entities anyway. FKs used directly in DDL are always a big fat pain in
> > the ass.
>
> No doubt FKs have made me pull hair out several times especial with
> data imports and migrations.  I usually just let apps manage integrity
> now however for those that want them it does not hurt to have a script
> out there for the sake of completness.

Definitely, even commons-sql would allow you to make an XML descriptor
and it will generate the DDL for the target database. Ultimately it
would be nice to have UML for the model and from there generate the
commons-sql descriptor but I have refrained from going overboard with
the abstractions. And unfortunately most of the OSS UML tools just
aren't very good.

But commons-sql will definitely allow you to generat the target DDL from
one common source if you do actually want to try different databases.

> Alex

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org