maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Some thought about SNAPSHOT dependencies.
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:07:45 GMT
On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 09:29, Maczka Michal wrote:
> I am trying to find about the best practices related to SNAPSHOT
> dependencies.
> More and more I think about them I find that some things are rather not
> clear and quite inconsistent.
>
> There is one misleading thing: We often find in POMs (maven, maven plugins
> do that):
>
> <project>
>   <pomVersion>3</pomVersion>
>   <id>maven</id>
>   <name>Maven</name>
>   <currentVersion>1.1-SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> (I understand that <currentVersion>1.1-SNAPSHOT</currentVersion> denotes
> that next release will be 1.1.)
>
> It is possible to do
>
> maven  jar:install   (will put maven-1.1-SNAPSHOT to repository)

That should probably be altered. That really shouldn't go into the
repository.

> maven  jar:install-snapshot (will put maven-SNAPSHOT to repository)
>
> Do we really intend to have two different types of snapshots?

No, there is only one. We probably just need one install that takes into
account SNAPSHOT in the current version. I realize that having SNAPSHOT
along with a version in the currentVersion element is confusing but you
also can't remove the numerical portion from the current version.

>   <dependency>
>      ..
>      <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>  (latest version of 1.1 branch)
>   </dependency>
>
> and
>
>   <dependency>
>      ..
>      <version>SNAPSHOT</version> (latest version which can come from any
of
> the branches)
>   </dependency>
>

> If not maybe we can just have one single "install" goal instead of "install
> and "install-snapshot"?

+1

Looking at the currentVersion to decide. If "SNAPSHOT" is present then
do the right thing.

> "jar:install" goal executed on project which current version is 1.1-SNAPSHOT
> will deploy a snapshot version of jar.
>
> Maybe indeed it is reasonable to lock usage of snapshot to one branch (like
> 1.0-SNAPSHOT, 1.1-SNAPSHOT)?

This was always the original intent, that the snapshot is the what most
resembles the latest code. Not the latest for each possible branch.

> AFAIR there were some discussions about introducing something which denotes
> latest released version (something like maven-RELEASE).
> Maybe we should use those things together?

Definitely the notion of the latest released would be useful.

> Any ideas?
>
> Michal

jvz.

Jason van Zyl