maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Xdoc - svg plugin..
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:47:09 GMT
On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 10:29, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Martin van den Bemt wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Is there any interest (or is there already one?) in an svg to image
> > converter plugged into the xdoc parser.
> > The goal is not to covert myself, but let maven handle the image
> > creation for me ;)
>
> Is there any interest in having Forrest handle Maven documentation?

I don't think it is something I would advocate. We have a system that
works perfectly well and most core developers are intimately familiar
with the xdoc stuff and know good chunks of jelly and many of the
taglibs. I, and I'm certain others as well, would not be willing to toss
out what we've learned in order to use Forrest.

I also think there would be some serious downsides to using something
based on Cocoon. It is just so massive that it would be generally
unweildly. I would be uncomfortable allowing the documentation tools to
fall on something I wasn't familiar with and there's not much chance I'm
going to learn Cocoon. I have also seen places such as Avalon and the
Incubator where I saw using Forrest more as a hindrance to getting doco
done because 27mb needed to be checked out first and in Avalon it just
didn't work a lot of time for anyone except people working on Forrest
itself.

We have a big investment in our xdoc stuff, the format is used by
countless people, all our devs know it and who knows how many users. I
just honestly don't see any upside to using Forrest for documentation.

> We (Forrest) have this and other things (asciiart to svg to image for
> example) since some time now.
>
> Not that Maven should necessarily move to Forrest for documentation, but
> it can be a nice alternative. In fact I have already stylesheets that
> can render Maven docs in Forrest, so it would really not even change the
> current setups.

Nobody has a problem with a Forrest plugin for those that want to use it
but I would never promote it as the default doco tool.

> Leo Simmons has started a plugin for Maven but ATM there is no update.
> Any takers for it? It sould also make a nice speed-functionality test
> between the Maven xdoc and Forrest.

I honestly think Jelly using the xpp3 SAX driver would be faster but
really it's more that the xdoc stuff is far more simple and far more
familiar at this point.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl