maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Garcia" <SGar...@qrs.com>
Subject RE: new maven goal
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:04:31 GMT
I have a related question to SNAPSHOTs, now that we have a thread on this.

I notice that SNAPSHOT jar file names substitute the version for the word
SNAPSHOT.  How does this behavior work for projects that have multiple
branches?

Our Platform project at work has many branches to it, there is a v1.0
branch, a v1.1 branch, and a v2.0 branch.  The 1.0 branch is stable, no new
changes are going in it (unless they are bug fixes).  The 1.1 and 2.0
branches are not stable yet.  So in our Maven repository we would ideally
have

platform-1.0.jar          (stable)
platform-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar (not stable)
platform-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar (not stable)

but in reality the SNAPSHOT versions lose the version number so I end up
with something like

platform-1.0.jar      (stable)
platform-SNAPSHOT.jar (for 1.1)
platform-SNAPSHOT.jar (for 2.0)

The relevant portions of the project.xml files for the projects are
<project>
  <groupId>qrs</groupId>
  <id>platform</id>
  <currentVersion>2.0-SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>
</project>

When I jar:install-snapshot goal, I get the platform-<timestamp>.jar, and a
platform-SNAPSHOT.jar (which are the same).  I've just lost the version
though!  I should have platform-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.

I can change the project.xml to look like

<project>
  <groupId>qrs</groupId>
  <id>platform-2.0</id>
  <currentVersion>SNAPSHOT</currentVersion>
</project>

but that seems to go against Maven policies.

Any suggestions here?