maven-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <bpor...@f2network.com.au>
Subject opinions on inheritence of <build/> tag
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:52:00 GMT
Hi,

I think I've implemented all of the code needed from the branch to solve the
main part of the leak, which is the multiple creation of plugin and ant
projects. All unit tests pass, but I can't currently bootstrap because of
some bugs in the execution. I'll work through them soon. I should be ready
to commit soon after RC1 is cut, and would want to do a little
polishing/refactoring just to clean up.

One thing that came up was when I redid the POM inheritence, it seemed the
previous behaviour was that if <sourceDirectory>src/java</sourceDirectory>
was given, then the extended project expected to use the same value, but
relative to its own basedir (ie basedir was evaluated after inheritence, not
before). There was even a unit test to check this.

To me, this seems unintuitive - if you are inheriting from something else,
you should inherit the same path, not the expression that will be changed.
The question I have is:
1) should I fix my code so that it works as it used to, unintuitive as it
is?
2) should it inherit the <sourceDirectory/>, etc. value relative to the
parent's directory?
3) should it not inherit the sourceDirectory? If so, what about resources?

I'd say we should not inherit any source directories, but should inherit
resources. This is how I have it implemented, so now POM inheritence
inherits everything (including merging lists for versions, mailing lists,
etc), except the source directories.

This probably breaks the way Maven builds because there are some subprojects
in the tests depending on the maven base directory, and likewise the plugin
builds. This can easily be addressed.

What are people thoughs on this?

Cheers,
Brett