maven-dev mailing list archives

From Colin Sampaleanu <colin...@exis.com>
Subject Why is build.properties from ${user.home} the most dominant
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:41:06 GMT
I wanted to get the rationale as to why build.properties from
${user.home} is more dominant than build.properties and
project.properties from the project dir.

This has always seemed ass-backwards to me, and is in fact backwards to
the order in which a number of ant projects I've seen (and mine) always
did it. I always use ${build.properties} in user home as a source of
default values, which can then be overriden on a project by project
basis, as needed.  If instead ${user.home} properties are the most
dominant, those properties can not be used as a source of any defaults
any longer, since they would wipe out any customizations in the project
itself.

Now I take it that the Maven devs have always seen
${user.home}/build.properties not as a source of default values, but as
a way to override project values, but in this respect I think that
location is almost useless, since you would override all projects on the
system, and in any case, there exists a mechanism at the project level
to override properties, that is, build.properties at the project level
being dominant over propect.properties.

I took a look through various open-source projects to see how their ant
files did it. It's interesting that you find both orders in
jakarta-commons, not very-consistent. You also find both orders in other
projects. Generally though, from what I could see, the majority of the
projects (if they used a build.properties from ${user.home} at all, make
the local project one the most dominant. I also found some projects
where the file in ${user.home} was called something else, not
build.properties. Again, generally those values are overriden by local
values.

Somewhat of an unfortunate mess... Is there any chance I can convince
you guys to reverse the order?

Regards,
Colin