maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: smart reactor proposal
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:05:12 GMT
On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 05:47, Aslak Helles√ły wrote:
> Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I have an idea about how
> to make the reactor smarter/quicker.
>
> I have a project with lots of subprojects that are built with reactor. I
> want to reduce the build time by making the reactor smarter.
>
> Imagine I have 3 sub projects a,b and c with the following dependencies:
> a<-b<-c.
>
> The 1st time I run reactor everything is built. Then I modify b and run
> reactor again. a doesn't depend on b and therefore shouldn't be rebuilt.
> The reactor should now only build b and c.

This is not really within the domain of the reactor to decide. This is
probably something that could be implemented as a separate goal that
might do a check before attaining goals pertinent to building.

You could use the task in cruisecontrol that check a whole set of
sources to see if there have been any changes. This would include any
changes to POM. You might also want to look at SNAPSHOTS eventually.

But I don't think this belongs in the reactor per se.

> I think this can be implemented quite simply by doing some date
> comparisons between java sources and classes in each project.

Yup, I think there's something like this in cruisecontrol as mentioned
before.

> I'm planning to implement this feature, but before I do, I'd like to
> hear some opinions.

I think something like:

<goal name="compile-with-uptodate-check">

  <j:if test="$!{sourcesUptodate}">
    <attainGoal name="compile"/>
  </j:if>

</goal>

Where you do whatever you like to get a value for the up-to-date test.

> Cheers,
> Aslak

jvz.

Jason van Zyl