maven-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject RE: Setting up Maven-New
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 14:02:02 GMT
On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 02:45, Marckx_Gino@emc.com wrote:

> I completely agree that standards are so much better then custom made
> solutions.  That is the reason why we are investigating the use of Maven
> in the first place.  But we simply have got no choice but to use a
> completely custom repository structure on an FTP server.

Then snag commons-net, or many of the other ftp client libraries and
roll your own artifact downloader. Probably wouldn't take that long and
I'm sure there may be others. There's actually a small self-contain ftp
client included with the jetty extras if you're interested.

> I know that we cannot use tools that depend on the standard layout, but
> hey, if we could use Maven already, for us it is quite a progress!
> If we can first convince the decision makers that using Maven is a good
> thing, maybe aiming at a standard repository layout can be our next
> goal ;-)

We've had many requests for customizations that are just not possible in
the old maven code. Pretty much everything that's been requested is
possible in maven-new. But the last thing I want to see is N different
layouts. Downloaders are not so much a problem and can be contained in a
small jar and you can just drop the component in if you need to.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com