maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: maven.bat and -Xmx, remove MAVEN_DEFAULT_OPTS?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 07:08:22 GMT

functionality.

Ok. I don't think you get me. I'm not saying to get rid of MAVEN_OPTS,
quite the opposite. This is excellent and suit my need.

What I would like to get rid of, is the MAVEN_DEFAULT_OPTS because it is
set with the arbitrary value "-Xmx160m".

Let me explain even more... In maven.bat, there is:

%MAVEN_JAVA_EXE% [...]%MAVEN_ENDORSED% %MAVEN_DEFAULT_OPTS% %MAVEN_OPTS%
[...]

So, if I set my MAVEN_OPTS environment variable to be "-Xmx256m" for
example, the command line will look like:

java [...] -Xmx160m -Xmx256m [...]

and I don't recall a rule of the "java" executable saying that it is
allowed to have the same parameter twice on the command line and that
the second one will be used! I may be wrong, in which case, please point
me to the documentation :-)

> Normally maven site wont work without a fair chunk of memory, and the
> defaults didn't work, hence MAVEN_DEFAULT_OPTS.

This is exactly the reason I need to override it! 160m is really too low
for our reactor. It needs over 1GB! (we have several hundreds of
projects and we've had to run them by chunks).

Thus this magical number will maybe solve the problem for *you* but not
for everyone. So I see 2 solutions:

- remove the MAVEN_DEFAULT_OPTS and let the user augment the memory if
the default 64m is not enough
- somehow verify if -Xmx is in MAVEN_OPTS and if so remove it from
MAVEN_DEFAULT_OPTS (same for any other parameter).

> Back to the original point, I can't see why the user should have to
> change the batch file....

For the reason above... :-)

I hope it is clearer now.

Thanks