maven-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: New WAR changes problems
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 19:19:31 GMT

[snip]

> > >  <artifact:install
> > >          artifact="foo"
> > >           type="war"
> > >          project="${pom}"
> > >
> > >  <artifact:install
> > >          artifact="lkjlkjlkjlkjlklk"
> > >           type="war"
> > >           project="${pom}"
> > >
> > > will do the same. The original file name is simply ignored.
> >
> > Sorry you've lost me. If the artifact attribute has no meaning, why
is
> > there one? Also what you're saying is not completely true as I've
tried
> > the war plugin (which uses artifact:install) and the war artifact
was
> > copied to the local repository *without* the version in its name.
> >

> This simply points to a file which will be deployed.
> This  can be any file in any place. But deployer, installer must know
the
> name of this file.

Nie rozumiem! You just said a few lines above that using any name does
the same and that the original file name is simply ignored???

So it is used after all...

> If it is installed without version it is an error.

Then there is a bug... :-)

> I am working in
> deployer
> (remote deployer).
> I  was bit busy today.. but hope to have ssh:// , file://' (not much
> needed
> but easy to support) and ftp:// deployer
> for tommorow. There is also http:// deployer.

I only need a normal copy working! Why would you need all these fancy
ssh, ftp, http to copy only a file from one directory to another
directory on the *same* machine. This is used to copy artifacts to the
local repository, right?

> > Also, why do you pass the pom object? Is the full POM really needed?
You
> > probably only need some elements from the pom, like the
currentVersion,
> > groupId field, etc. I think it is a much better design to make these
> > fields visible and not hidden by a global object.
> >

> You need much more. In pom you have
>
> distributionDirectory
> distributionSite
> groupId
> artifactId
> version
> + pom has associated JellyContext which contains many behavioral
> properties
> for deplorers
> (password, paths to private key,  proxy servers etc)

ok, we're definitely not talking about the same thing here. I'm talking
about copying artifacts to the *Local* repository. This is what
war:install was previously doing and it seems this is also what the
artifact:install seems to be doing when I execute it...

You seem to be talking about remote repositories.

> I think POM is good for passing such data.
>
> In framework I am propagating the POM till some level, Then API
becomes
> independent of it. Those classes can be reused for low level operation
as
> they are
> completely independent of Maven,

ok

> I will send a post asking for your opinion about naming convention of
new
> properties
> which I will introduce by supporting multiple repositories.

-Vincent