manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From "Hotchkiss, David" <dhotchk...@iso-ne.com>
Subject RE: [EXT] Re: PostgresSQL and DB Superuser
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2017 13:45:08 GMT
Hi Karl,

Thank-you for the suggestion. We will see how it works to limit the "dbsuperuser" account
access during normal operations.

Our present use-case is very small scale and does not depend on connectors that require the
multi-process model.  So, I am looking for ways to reduce the overhead on our support team
when we deploy to production.  As long as there are no other reasons to avoid it, the single-process
model seemed to be the right fit.

Thanks,

  //david

________________________________
From: Karl Wright [daddywri@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:22 PM
To: user@manifoldcf.apache.org
Subject: [EXT] Re: PostgresSQL and DB Superuser

*** EXTERNAL email. Please be cautious and evaluate before you click on links, open attachments,
or provide credentials. ***

Hi David,

If you are running in multiprocess mode, database initialization is a separate step.  Once
the database initialization step has been done, it's no longer necessary for the "superuser"
to have superuser powers.  However, when you upgrade, you will need to remember to give that
user back superuser powers, or the upgrade will fail.

For single-process, though, it's a different story; the database initialization/upgrade happens
on every start.  So there's no way to get around needing a superuser involved in that case.
 You can maybe play with reducing permissions so that that user has only read permissions;
unless there is an actual need for an upgrade step that might be sufficient.

Thanks,
Karl

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Hotchkiss, David <dhotchkiss@iso-ne.com<mailto:dhotchkiss@iso-ne.com>>