manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Additional information from external database
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 12:15:23 GMT
Hi Wilhelm,

I don't know anything about how datafari uses ManifoldCF to crawl.  All I
can do is describe how ManifoldCF works, and then maybe you can see how it
integrates with datafari.

MCF gets documents from a repository using one of many kinds of repository
connector.  It then can transform the document in many different ways,
before sending the (transformed) document to one of many output
connectors.  I gather that datafari injects documents primarily into Solr.

Each job in MCF has its own "pipeline", which describes the flow of a
document through the system for that job.

The transformations that are available in MCF include:

- ability to extract metadata from the document (using Tika)
- ability to modify or add metadata properties (you specify this in the job
UI)
- OpenNLP metadata extraction
- Filter out documents based on characteristics of the document

Writing connectors is relatively straightforward and there are online
materials available to help you do this. I can provide a link, if you need
it.  Without any more information as to what exactly you are using for a
repository connector, and what that connector provides as part of the
document information, I can't really give you the best approach here, but
it may be possible to write a transformation connector that would look up
the information you want to add as metadata from your database and include
that in the document that gets sent to Solr.

Please let us know how we can help.

Thanks,
Karl