manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Phil Riethmuller <priethmul...@funnelback.com>
Subject Re: HTTP 302 error causing job to abort
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2016 23:20:54 GMT
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the update.

I¹m not 100% sure how many documents have this redirect in them, but I¹ll
see if I can get a better estimate. The content we are crawling is
substantially large, and comes from many different authors so it¹s difficult
to manage how these Sharepoint documents are created. It makes it extremely
difficult to pinpoint all the documents that contain redirects.

Am I correct in assuming a single 302 error causes the job to fail, or is
there some other logic that determines this?

How plausible would it be to include in the product an option for treating
302¹s as a warning, rather than a fatal error? Possibly just an option in
the Job setup?

Regards,
Phil

From:  Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>
Date:  Thursday, 18 February 2016 1:39 am
To:  "user@manifoldcf.apache.org" <user@manifoldcf.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: HTTP 302 error causing job to abort

Hi again Phil,

The HttpClient team points out that POST requests (as we do for the
SharePoint repository requests) are not allowed to follow 302 redirections
according to RFC2616.  We use POST requests because, for SOAP, there is
often quite a bit of XML data that goes along with the request, and we would
otherwise have size issues.  So we cannot use GET instead of POST.  See
CONNECTORS-1279 for details.

If you still believe that it is only a couple of URLs that are returning 302
for you, I'd like some analysis of why you believe that to be true.  I would
be happy to consider recognition of an occasional 302 response as meaning
"skip this document".  On the other hand, based on your stack trace, it
really appears that you have a far more systemic problem; it is failing
while obtaining information for an entire site, so not much would get
crawled in that case.

Thanks,
Karl

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> indexing, however I wouldn¹t expect the 302 to be treated as a fatal error
>> that causes the job to come to a halt. I¹d expect the document to be passed
>> over, and the crawl to continue.
>>
>> Is the only solution at this point to remove the documents which redirect to
>> a 302 to get the crawl to run in full?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Phil Riethmuller
>> Technical Consultant
>>
>> Funnelback | 437 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
>> T +61 2 9045 2882 <tel:%2B61%202%209045%202882>  | funnelback.com
>> <http://www.funnelback.com/>
>>
>> AUSTRALIA | UNITED KINGDOM | NEW ZEALAND | POLAND | UNITED STATES
>>

>> Connect with us: LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/company/funnelback>  -
>> Twitter
>>

>> From:  Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>
>> Date:  Wednesday, 17 February 2016 8:58 am
>>
>> To:  "user@manifoldcf.apache.org" <user@manifoldcf.apache.org>
>> Subject:  Re: HTTP 302 error causing job to abort
>>
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> You probably want to point your SharePoint repository connection to the
>> proper server and site, and not rely on redirections.  It's also possible
>> that you are missing the site entirely and the redirection you are seeing is
>> taking you to some error page somewhere.
>>
>> I will be raising the question of redirections with the
>> HttpComponents/HttpClient team, since I see no obvious problems with the
>> SharePoint connector code.  However, if your connection is properly set up,
>> redirections should be unneeded.
>>
>> I would read the documentation on the Wiki page for debugging SharePoint
>> connections at the bottom of this page:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CONNECTORS/Debugging+Connections
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Karl
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Phil Riethmuller
>> <priethmuller@funnelback.com> wrote:
>>> Do you mean in the job status in the Manifold CF interface?
>>>
>>> The job status also shows the same:
>>> Error: Unexpected http error code 302 accessing SharePoint at <url>:
>>> (302)HTTP/1.0 302 Found
>>>
>>> I agree, I wouldn¹t of thought that the crawler would follow any links or
>>> redirections.
>>>
>>> What sort of configurations could be incorrectly configured, that I could
>>> look at revising?
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>

>>> From:  Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>
>>> Date:  Wednesday, 17 February 2016 8:45 am
>>>
>>> To:  "user@manifoldcf.apache.org" <user@manifoldcf.apache.org>
>>> Subject:  Re: HTTP 302 error causing job to abort
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> When you view the repository connection in the UI, do you get a 302 error
>>> also?
>>>
>>> I have looked at the code; Httpclient is supposedly configured to honor
>>> redirections.  Obviously it is not doing that, so I'll have to dig deeper
>>> into why that is.  On the other hand, I would not expect you to be getting
>>> any redirections, unless you have configured your connection incorrectly.

org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.system.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:399>>>>
)