manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Smitha S <Smitha_...@infosys.com>
Subject User permission for crawling windows share
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2014 07:51:30 GMT
Hi,

We are using ManifoldCF to crawl using window share repository connector. In the fileserver
a folder has been shared to a specific user (e.g say mcfusr). We have configured the window
share repository connector with the server details, domain and the user credentials for 'mcfusr'.
But when we ran the mcf job, crawling failed with an exception "jcifs: possibly trasient exce
detected while getting share security".

When I went through the mailing list, I found a related thread.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/manifoldcf-user/201409.mbox/%3C277F6D86-4C79-4C61-8AEF-FD5CD3D72737@gmail.com%3E

As per this, we have added the "mcfusr" to the administrator group of the fileserver. The
crawling job worked successfully. But with this configuration, we found another issue.

In  the fileserver, there is another shared folder which is shared with only some other user
(say restricted_folder). This folder is not shared with "mcfuser" explicitly. From outside
the fileserver, we are not able to access this restricted folder. But we are able to configure
the crawling job with this folder and mcfuser. The crawling is successful and documents are
successfully indexed.

Even though MCF reads the ACL of the folder and its contents, why is it allowed for mcfusr
to crawl the documents. We were expecting an exception in this scenario. Because of this our
client is a little reluctant to add mcfusr to administrative group.

Could you please provide us some light on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Smitha S

Infosys e-mail system.