manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Antonio David Perez Morales <ape...@zaizi.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Not index blank fields in Solr connector
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 16:38:10 GMT
I agree to not index empty fields.

It doesn't make sense to index empty fields in most of the uses cases.

Regards

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Alessandro Benedetti <
benedetti.alex85@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will copy here my consideration :
>
> "So you have 2 scenarios for a field : you have content or you don't.
>
> Introducing empty field you can have strange behaviours solr sides because
> from the human point of view there is no difference between an empty or a
> null field, but for solr yes, and the proper way to model a field that
> doesn't have content is to not add the field at all to the document.
>
> Introducing empty field can lead to inconsistent behaviour mainly sorting
> side, or when you want to retrieve documents that have value for that field
> ( in this case indexing empty fields you are introducing false positive for
> that search)"
>
> Curious to see others opinions and discuss !
>

> Cheers

> > Hi folks,
> >
> > We're considering, for MCF 2.0, having the Solr connector not index empty
> > fields -- just skip them entirely.  This is not backwards-compatible
> > behavior, for a number of reasons:
> >
> > (1) If the field whose value is blank is marked as "required" in
> > solrschema.xml, Solr will reject the document, where before it would have
> > allowed it to be indexed;
> > (2) Queries which make a distinction between no field and an empty field
> > will no longer work the same way.
> >
> > Can I request a show of hands (figuratively) of how many people this
> > change might affect?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Karl
> >

> --
> --------------------------
>
> Benedetti Alessandro
>
> "Tyger, tyger burning bright
> In the forests of the night,
> What immortal hand or eye
> Could frame thy fearful symmetry?"

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this
email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy
by an authorised signatory.

Zaizi Ltd is registered in England and Wales with the registration number
6440931. The Registered Office is Brook House, 229 Shepherds Bush Road,
London W6 7AN.