manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kerberos authentication
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 06:51:40 GMT
Hi Somesh,

It sounds like you have only the vaguest idea what ManifoldCF actually does.
I suggest at least starting at the end-user documentation:
http://manifoldcf.apache.org/release/trunk/en_US/end-user-documentation.html.

1)      If we have external infrastructure setup for Kerberos, ManifoldCF
SharePoint connector supports Kerberos authentication mechanism. Am I
correct with my understanding? Are there any other issues with using
ManifoldCF and Kerberos authentication?
<<<<<<

Since we don't recommend or fully support this approach, it is not clear
what problems you will encounter.  This is something you will need to try
out before concluding it will work.  All I can say is that others have
managed to get SharePoint with only Kerberos to crawl.

2)      Is Certificate based authentication supported?

<<<<<<

Please describe what you mean by "certificate-based authentication".
SharePont runs under IIS, which is a web server that supports SSL.
Certificate-based SSL handshakes are supported by ManifoldCF.  There is,
however, no certificate *authentication* supported by SharePoint AFAICT.

3)      Does it have capability to fetch folders and files in a tree
hierarchy and does client have control over the depth of the hierarchy? If
yes, does it support filtering?

<<<<<<

Yes and no; "depth" is a ridiculous concept to use for filtering in
SharePoint.  Read the manual to get an idea of what kind of filtering you
can do.

4)      Does it automatically filter out system folders?

<<<<<<

Once again, makes no sense; SharePoint does not include any concept of
"system folders".

5)      Does it have capability to fetch metadata of folders and files?

<<<<<<

Yes.

6)      Does it have capability to download content of documents?

<<<<<<

Yes.

7)      Does it have capability to fetch the permissions?

<<<<<<

Yes.

8)      Does it have capability to perform write operations on a document
like create, delete, copy or rename?

<<<<<<

It makes no sense at all for a crawler to be writing documents.  In fact,
most of our users would drop us like a hot potato if we modified their
documents in any way.

Karl