manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From "Iannetti, Robert" <robert.ianne...@novartis.com>
Subject RE: Cannot connect to SharePoint 2010 instance
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 21:00:25 GMT
Karl,

Let try to get the 2010 connection working first before we proceed to the 2013.

Thanks
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Wright [mailto:daddywri@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:59 PM
To: user@manifoldcf.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to SharePoint 2010 instance

If you want, we can create a ticket to cover SharePoint 2013 work.  If you want to attempt
a sanity check, if you email me (personally, to
daddywri@gmail.com) the Microsoft.SharePoint.dll I can set up a
ManifoldCF-Sharepoint-2013 plugin.  If I can build that, then the next step would be just
trying it all out and seeing where it fails.

Karl

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Iannetti, Robert <robert.iannetti@novartis.com> wrote:
> Karl,
>
> That sounds reasonable. I am having my SP Admin set up the NTML SharePoint instance described
below I will let you know how it works.

> BTW SP 2013 RTM has been released so we can cross #1 off the list :)
>
> Thanks
> Bob

their environment, and (3) enough time so that we're not on the bleeding edge and that other
people have run into most of the sticky problems first.  We're volunteers here and we all
have day jobs, so we mostly can't afford to be pounding away at brick walls on our own.

> It could be the case that everything just works, in which case the development is trivial.
 We'll have to see.

> Karl
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Iannetti, Robert <robert.iannetti@novartis.com>
wrote:
>> Karl,
>>
>> On another topic is there a roadmap for supporting SharePoint 2013 ?
>> We are in the process of migrating and were wondering when your ManifoldCF product
would be available to support it.

>> Thanks
>> Bob

SharePoint google appliance connector, which when I looked last had exactly the same restriction.
 It also has other limitations, some severe, such as limiting the number of documents you
can crawl to no more than 5000 per library.

>> We are willing to do a reasonable amount of work to upgrade
>> ManifoldCF to be able to support Kerberos.  Here's a link which
>> describes the
>> situation:
>>
>> http://old.nabble.com/Support-for-Kerberos-SPNEGO-td14564857.html
>>
>> We currently use a significantly-patched version of 3.1, which supplied the NTLM
implementation for 4.0 that is currently in use.
>> Our issue is similar to the commons-httpclient team's, which is we have no good way
of testing all of this, and none of us are security protocol experts.  If you have (or know
somebody with) such expertise, who would be willing/able to donate their time, this problem
could be tackled I think without too much pain.  So at least httpclient, given the right tickets,
would be able to connect.

>> The other issue with Kerberos auth is that I believe it will require a significant
amount of work to allow anything using it to obtain the tickets from the AD domain controller.
 This would obviously require UI work for all connectors that would support Kerberos.  But
that is something I am willing to attempt if everything else is in place.

>> Karl
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Iannetti, Robert <robert.iannetti@novartis.com>
wrote:
>>> Karl,
>>>
>>> If this is not possible can you recommend any other products to crawl SharePoint
content and index it in Solr?

>>> Thanks
>>> Bob

library that we use for communicating with SharePoint.

>>> It is possible to set up IIS to serve a different port with different authentication
that goes to the same SharePoint instance but is NTLM protected, not Kerberos protected.
Perhaps you can do this and limit access to that port to only the ManifoldCF machine.

>>> Karl

that all the web services directories are "executable".  This is critical.

whether you use a fully-qualified domain name or a shortcut domain name, e.g. mydomain.novartis.com
or just mydomain.  I suggest you try some combinations.  The other thing you may want to check
is whether the machine you are running ManifoldCF on is known by your domain controller; you
may not be able to authenticate if it is not.

from the list of possibilities, I suggest downloading the "curl" utility, and trying to fetch
a web service listing or wsdl using it (specifying NTLM of course as the authentication method).
 If that also doesn't work, it's a server-side configuration problem of some kind.

 But I've found these are not very helpful for authentication issues.

available but they start to get ugly.

in the article URL I sent you before, and then you can see precisely what URL the connector
is trying to reach when it accesses the MCPermissions service.

either its URL is wrong, or IIS has decided it's not going to serve that page to the client.

a redirection, and this is messing things up internally.  Does the your connection server
name etc. match precisely the URL you see when you are in the SharePoint user interface?

globally in SharePoint. I am able to access it from within my SharePoint site as well as all
other valid SharePoint sub-sites.
works with any valid site in <sitepath> including the previously mentioned _admin site.

properly deployed.  The "_admin" in your path is a clue that something might not be right.
 The place you want to see the MCPermissions.asmx is in the following location:

is your site path.  The best way to get this is to enter the SharePoint UI (NOT the admin
UI, but the SharePoint end-user UI), and log into the root site.  Then make note of the URL
in your browser.

at your IIS settings and make sure that the MCPermissions.asmx service can be executed.

how to properly set up connections.

files that are included with the plugin.  When you re-install, please make sure that you are
logged in as a user with full admin privileges, or the service will not work properly.

Not Found.