manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FileShares and SharePoint connection
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:14:35 GMT
The trace shows that it is failing trying to check the existence of
the directory //olymp/Shares/Public/ .  The "Logon failure: unknown
user name or bad password." message is a response from the server on
which that directory resides.

The "View Connection" page says "Connection working" after checking
that the share described by the connection can be accessed.  Since
that succeeds, it means only that your credentials are right for
//olymp/Shares, but not necessarily for the children thereof.  The
naming of this directory would argue that "Shares" could well be a
directory that contains a number of DFS mountpoints, which thus may
require different credentials to access, or at least a different
credential format.

Here are some things to try:

(1) Make sure you can browse to the //olymp/Shares/Public folder from
a Windows machine after you log in as the user you are trying to crawl
with.  If you can't then ManifoldCF can't either.

(2) Try different permutations of fully qualified or unqualified
machine names.  From the documentation:

"You must enter the name of the server to form the connection with in
the "Server" field. This can either be an actual machine name, or a
domain name (if you intend to connect to a Windows domain-based DFS
root). If you supply an actual machine name, it is usually the right
thing to do to provide the server name in an unqualified form, and
provide a fully-qualified domain name in the "Domain name" field. The
user name also should usually be unqualified, e.g. "Administrator"
rather than "Administrator@mydomain.com". Sometimes it may work to
leave the "Domain name" field blank, and instead supply a
fully-qualified machine name in the "Server" field. It never works to
supply both a domain name and a fully-qualified server name."

(3) Try modifying the NTLM property, as described here:

"Accessing some servers may result in "Couldn't connect to server:
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password" Connection Status,
because the default version of NTLM used for authentication is
incompatible. If this is the case, the Windows Share repository
connector can be configured to use NTLMv1, rather than the NTLMv2
default. This is done by setting the property
"org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.connectors.jcifs.usentlmv1" to "true"
in properties.xml file."

If none of this is any help, I can put you into contact with the guy
who maintains the jcifs library, and perhaps he might have some
suggestions.

Karl

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Congiu, Daniela
<Daniela.Congiu@ipsways.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't think it's on individual files as it indexes not single one but throws this Exception
while trying to index the first one.

> Here is the relevant part of the stacktrace:
>
> WARN 2012-10-01 14:44:07,887 (Worker thread '4') - JCIFS: Possibly transient exception
detected on attempt 1 while checking if file exists: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
password.
> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:546)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:663)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:390)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:218)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:176)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:74)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:775)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.queryPath(SmbFile.java:1363)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1417)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.connectors.sharedrive.SharedDriveConnector.fileExists(SharedDriveConnector.java:2080)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.connectors.sharedrive.SharedDriveConnector.getDocumentVersions(SharedDriveConnector.java:527)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.system.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:321)
>  WARN 2012-10-01 14:44:07,906 (Worker thread '4') - JCIFS: Possibly transient exception
detected on attempt 2 while checking if file exists: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
password.
> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:546)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:663)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:390)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:218)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:176)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doConnect(SmbFile.java:911)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:954)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:880)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1415)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.connectors.sharedrive.SharedDriveConnector.fileExists(SharedDriveConnector.java:2080)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.connectors.sharedrive.SharedDriveConnector.getDocumentVersions(SharedDriveConnector.java:527)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.system.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:321)
>  WARN 2012-10-01 14:44:07,928 (Worker thread '4') - JCIFS: Possibly transient exception
detected on attempt 3 while checking if file exists: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
password.
> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:546)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:663)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:390)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:218)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:176)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doConnect(SmbFile.java:911)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:954)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:880)
>         at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1415)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.connectors.sharedrive.SharedDriveConnector.fileExists(SharedDriveConnector.java:2080)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.connectors.sharedrive.SharedDriveConnector.getDocumentVersions(SharedDriveConnector.java:527)
>         at org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.system.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:321)
>  WARN 2012-10-01 14:44:07,928 (Worker thread '4') - JCIFS: Authorization exception reading
version information for smb://olymp/Shares/Public/ - skipping

be a stack trace in manifoldcf.log.  Can you post that please?

> If you are seeing this error on individual documents in the Simple History, then the
problem may be that the user has permissions to read the document, but not to request a document's
SIDs, in which case the document will be skipped.  Or, it may be that one of the directories
you are trying to crawl has a DFS redirection to another machine that does not recognize the
credentials you have given it.  There are a lot of possibilities and you need to supply more
information before we can make sense of them.