manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running 2 jobs to update same document Index but different fields
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:36:47 GMT
This doesn't sound like a problem a connector can solve.  The problem
sounds like severe misuse of Solr/Lucene to me.  You are using the
wrong document key and Lucene does not let you modify a document index
once it is created, and no matter what you do to ManifoldCF it can't
get around that restriction.  So it sounds like you need to
fundamentally rethink your design.

If all you want to do is index XML and PDF as separate documents, just
change your Solr output connection specification to change the
selected "id" field appropriately.  Then, BOTH documents will be
indexed by Solr, each with different metadata as you originally
specified.  I'm frankly having a really hard time seeing why this is
so hard.

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Anupam Bhattacharya
<anupamb82@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I write a new Documentum Connector with our specific use-case to go
> forward ?
> I guess your book will be helpful to understand connector framework in
> manifoldcf.
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Right, LUCENE never did allow you to modify a document's indexes, only
>> replace them.  What I'm trying to tell you is that there is no reason
>> to have the same document ID for both documents.  ManifoldCF will
>> support treating the XML document and PDF document as different
>> documents in Solr.  But if you want them to in fact be the same
>> document, just combined in some way, neither ManifoldCF nor Lucene
>> will support that at this time.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Anupam Bhattacharya
>> <anupamb82@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I saw that the index getting created by 1st PDF indexing job which
>> > worked
>> > perfectly well for a particular id. Later when i ran the 2nd XML
>> > indexing
>> > Job for the same id. I lost all field indexed by the 1st job and i was
>> > left
>> > out with field indexes created my this 2nd job.
>> >
>> > I thought that it would combine field values for a specified doc id.
>> >
>> > As per Lucene developers they mention that by design Lucene doesn't
>> > support
>> > this.
>> >
>> > Pls. see following url ::
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3837